1918 saw the founding of Cristobal Balenciaga's first haute couture house in San Sebastian, Spain. Local admiration for his designs was so strong that a second haute couture house was opened in Madrid and a third in Barcelona. In 1937, 10 Avenue George V became the Parisian home of Cristobal Balenciaga's creative influence. Balenciaga's Paris flagship store is still located at this address.
In 1995, Nicolas Ghesquiere was hired by the House, initially as a designer for the licensed products activity. He became creative director for the House's own ready-to-wear and accessories collection in 1997.
In 2001, the Gucci Group, in partnership with Nicolas Ghesquiere as creative director, acquired the house of Balenciaga, now well on its way towards recreating the influence and respect that the house commended in its former heydays.
Today, the House of Balenciaga creates women's and men's ready-to-wear shoes, accessories, sold worldwide.